Changing a wheel on most scooter models is a straightforward and requires few tools. First of all, you should know that unlike an automobile where the wheel and tire are separate, scooters with solid, non-air filled tires are one piece affairs. The entire wheel/tire is replaced.
- Flat bladed screwdriver
- Ratchet/socket wrench with several metric sockets to choose from. (You cannot use pliers to change a scooter wheel. )
The process for replacing a front wheel is slightly different from replacing a rear (drive) wheel on a scooter. The instructions below will show you how to replace the wheel and also explain where the differences are between front and back.
1. Using your flat-bladed screwdriver, pry off the center decorative "hubcap" if there is one, to expose the bolt holding the wheel in place:
2. Choose a socket and wrench of the appropriate size to fit the bolt holding the wheel in place. Loosen and remove the bolt. You'll need to hold the wheel so it doesn't turn while you work to loosen the bolt and this can require some strength to do. It might be helpful to press the scooter to the ground or to a worktable to prevent the wheel from turning. Bolts always turn counterclockwise to remove and clockwise to tighten regardless of which side of the scooter you're working on.
3. Remove the bolt all the way and then slide the wheel off. Note that the wheel is machined to be a close fit to the axle so it won't wiggle much. But it will slide right off with little effort.
REAR WHEEL NOTE: There is a square-shaped slot in the wheel and in the axle that line up and have a small metal bar ("key") that is inserted so that the axle will drive the wheel. The key is oily and so will usually but not always stay with the wheel or the axle. Locate it and keep it safe so that it can be replaced when the new wheel is installed. There are no slots or keys on the front wheels of your scooter.
4. Place new wheel on axle. If it's a rear wheel, align the slot on the axle and on the wheel and push the key into the slot as shown in the picture:
5. Replace and tighten the bolt and replace the decorative wheel hubcap.